I have now waited more than two weeks for the 2SC1969 that I have ordered from El Supply. Since the Easter holidays are coming closer and closer and I want to have the K1 with me, I looked for another source. I found Brinck Elektronik who has a shop in Copenhagen city. I was lucky enough to get the last piece they had on stock. They can still order it for me later but it will cost twice as much.
The Elecraft T1 is a stand-alone, miniature antenna tuner unit specially designed for use with low-power HF/6m transceivers. Despite its small size, it uses a built in 9V battery, provides a wide matching range and can handle powers up to 20 watts SSB/CW or 10 watts in FM/AM/digi. It is a very cool general-purpose ATU for mobile and portable use. The T1 is available either ready built or as a kit.
Tonight I have tried to use the FT-817 remote cable that I bought together with the T1. First, I wanted to find the leaked RF info signals sent by the T1. According to the manual, there should be at least one signal on every ham band and I found one around 7024 kHz.
I have now done som basic tests of the T1. I decided to tune the MP-1 to somewhere in the 40 meter band and then try to match it with the T1 on the other bands. The initial setting of the MP1 was as follows:
I have just completed the assembly of the T1. The power on tests from the assembly manual are all all right. I must wait with the functional tests till I am back in LMX, because I have no 50 ohm calbes here.
I have now finished the control board as well. All resistance checks passed. I can not do the LED test, because I do not have the diode tester here, it’s in LMX. In any case, I have been very careful when mounting the LEDs, so they should be all right.
I have now finished the last two coils, L6 and L7, as well. Looking back I think it was a very good idea to make the coils in the same order as described in the assembly manual: L1 … L7. It starts with just a few turns and increases gradually up to 29 turns on L7.
So, I have spent most of the time since saturday noon on building the T1. I have made good progress so far; I finished almost everything on the main board except the last two coils, L6 and L7.