Today we have a guest post by Kirill Snezhko (@argrento) who describes how to get Gpredict working on Android tablets. Note that this is not about a native Android port of Gpredict, but how to get Linux installed as an Android app and run Linux applications like Gpredict.
Yesterday I successfully received APRS transmissions from the International Space Station on 145.825 MHz using my Yaesu FT-817 connected to my MacBook Pro via a Signalink audio interface and a USB sound adapter.
Last week I started on a new experiment trying to integrate the AFSK1200 demodulator code from multimon into a simple Qt-based graphical application. This experiment had two objectives:
- Test the feasibility of integrating the AFSK1200 demodulator from multimon into other applications.
- Try using the QAudio framework from Qt for audio I/O that should work on both Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.
Up until now, users of Gpredict could click on a satellite in any view to make that satellite selected. For most views, selecting a satellite meant highlighting it and showing some additional info about it, or for the case of single satellite view to display the data for that satellite. In case you are not familiar with the terms module and view in Gpredict, a module is a logical object which groups a number of satellites and a ground station together, while views are the display widgets used to visualize the satellite data in different ways like map, list, polar plot, etc. A module can have any number of views laid out in a grid.
After one year of development, bug fixing and testing we have decided that it was time to make a new release of Gpredict. This release features several new features such as the rewritten layout engine as well as lots of bug fixes.
I stumbled upon this nice review of Gpredict Jack Wallen at ghacks.net : Track satellites with Gpredict.
It’s always good to hear what other people think about it and I was particularly happy to read that Gpredict is an incredibly simple to use tool that will allow anyone to track multiple satellites quickly and easily. This was indeed one of the primary objectives when designing the concept 🙂
In case you haven’t already seen them, check out some screenshots of the next version (1.2) to be released soon.