DX-88 SWR on 2015.11.07

Today we got the first storm warning of this season and so I went out to secure the DX-88 with 4 guy-wires. At the same time I did a new tuning round because I have noticed that some of the bands have moved since the last adjustment. This time I have managed to get 30 meters working.

Continue reading “DX-88 SWR on 2015.11.07”

DX-88 resurrection

It has now been eight years since I have retired my Hy-Gain DX-88 antenna declaring it dead for good. I was standing with a broken base element for the second time and I decided not to spend any more time and money on it but try a new antenna, a Butternut HF2V covering 160, 80, 40 and 30 meters.

Continue reading “DX-88 resurrection”

DIY remote kit for the IC-706 part 8: Improved audio client and server

In my last update I have posted a live demo of the IC-706 remote setup. This setup was using a gstreamer-based audio client and server, taking advantage of state of the art audio codec called Opus. This setup was working fine over reliable network connections; however, as soon as I got on a mobile network the simple gstreamer pipelines were no longer sufficient. So it was time to write a simple audio client and server pair that are better suited to handle network dropouts.

Continue reading “DIY remote kit for the IC-706 part 8: Improved audio client and server”

DIY remote kit for the IC-706 part 7: First on-air test

Good news folks: I have had my remote controlled IC-706 on the air and it works! So far I have only tested the receiver and on the LAN, but I still consider it to be a significant milestone because it was the first time I had the controls and the audio work together with a good antenna connected to the radio.

Continue reading “DIY remote kit for the IC-706 part 7: First on-air test”

Gstreamer 1.4 on the Beaglebone

Today I found myself in a situation where I needed the latest Gstreamer 1.4.3 on a Beaglebone running a console image by Robert C. Nelson based on Debian Wheezy. Debian Wheezy comes with the old Gstreamer 0.10 and as far as I could tell the new gstreamer isn’t even available through backports. It is however available in Debian Jessie (testing).

Continue reading “Gstreamer 1.4 on the Beaglebone”

DIY remote kit for the IC-706 part 6: A simple audio server and client

It has been a few weeks since my last update about the IC-706 remote rig project so here is a new one.

Continue reading “DIY remote kit for the IC-706 part 6: A simple audio server and client”

DIY remote kit for the IC-706 part 5: Power on / off sequences

In my previous post I described how I solved the power connections for the radio and the front panel when they are physically separated from each other. In this post I will explain the software part of the power on / off procedure.

Continue reading “DIY remote kit for the IC-706 part 5: Power on / off sequences”

DIY remote kit for the IC-706 part 4: Here come the Beaglebones

Last night I reached a significant milestone in this DIY remoterig project for the IC-706: I had the radio and the front panel talk to each other through a pair of Beaglebones and without any PC in the loop and without any wires between the boards for transferring power and discrete signals.

Continue reading “DIY remote kit for the IC-706 part 4: Here come the Beaglebones”